Twin Cylinder Racing Team

Tuesday 28 June 2016

Dakar Rally 2019

Dakar Rally 2019

This is hardly a surprise to those who know me but I'm going to try and get to the start line of Dakar 2019. I'd drawn a line under it for financial reasons but I've had so many messages of support from those who want to be a part of it that it may just be possible for a 3rd attempt.


At the 2016 Dakar Rally
The basic €15,000 entry fee and then a bike needed to enter in malle motos class isn't going to be easy to find, but everyone around me thinks it's more than possible. There will be more details on how people can help when I have some sort of a plan of action put together. In the meantime the easiest way to support is to visit us in Devon and spend 2 days riding with me (www.gotrailriding.co.uk). 

The Story So Far

I'm sure your all aware we sold the family home and downsized to finance the 1st attempt which ended with a crash on just day 4. The 2nd attempt was partially funded by selling the rally bike, having some sponsors, and most memorably a collection given to me during the Paddy Dakar when visiting Ireland last September. The bike I used was 2nd hand and mine for just the duration of the rally. Things started as planned but quickly disintegrated into a nightmare when on day 4 my mousse exploded and put me at the back of the grid. It was hellish but somehow I muddled on and really thought I would make it to the end. At the end of day 12 battling with a then uknown mechanical issue and total fatigue it was over.

What's Happened Since

I've been concentrating on the running of our sports/recreation B&B which is keeping afloat and more importantly it has given our children a great place to live. My sponsors have continued to support me in my racing and I took part in the Libya and Tuareg Rally with Desert Rose Racing this year.


At the Tuareg Rally on the 950 SE
The Future

I have the Baja Rally in America later this year riding the Rally Raid Products LC4-50, and 2017 will see me compete on a modified KTM 950 in the Tuareg, Libya, Hellas & Africa Eco Rallies. 2018 will be spent focusing on the physical training. Lastly there's talk of making a film or documentary about the journey to the start line. Again money might prevent this from coming to fruition but discussions are being made.

Being Interviewed
Thanks as always to everyone who follows and/or supports me, Corky